Montgomery County, Maryland County Exec Ike Legget's $65,000 Bathroom

What a load of crap.

As Montgomery County Executive Isiah Leggett works to raise taxes and eliminate 225 jobs, a construction crew is installing a bathroom in his locked suite of offices, complete with a small sitting room and shower. The cost to taxpayers: $65,225.

Leggett's aides said yesterday that his security detail did not want him using the public restroom because walking to and from the facility could expose him to harm. The shower was included, an aide said, because Leggett lives about 40 minutes away from the Rockville office and regularly attends evening events without having time to freshen up at home.

"I don't see this as a big expenditure," Leggett (D) said. Describing himself as "the guy who flies coach and spends sparingly," he said, "It's not something I asked for."