The passionate reawakening of the American conscience

I've never heard of Peter Clothier before, but this letter is an articulate and serious argument about the fundamental type of change that Barack Obama represents.  It is a clarion call for Hilary to allow progress to happen instead of trying to get in its way.

From HuffPost:

Dear Senator Clinton

by Peter Clothier

Dear Senator Clinton,

I write with the
greatest respect for your passion, your dedication to service and your
significant accomplishments to express my personal -- and perhaps
presumptuous -- conviction that you should withdraw from your quest for
the presidency of the United States should the coming primaries in
Texas and Ohio not provide significant evidence to the contrary.

I confess that I write these words with considerable sadness. I

would have wished in any other circumstance to cast my vote for the

first woman to make a serious bid for this office. I also believe that

you would make an excellent president. I am awed by your command of the

issues we face, and am much impressed with the strength and coherence

of the solutions you propose. I am persuaded of your passionate belief

in this country, as well as your qualifications and experience as the

source of a much-needed change of course. I am convinced, too, that

your policies are sound.

That said, I believe that the time may very soon come for a truly
magnanimous and selfless gesture on your part, to step aside and lend
the considerable weight of your personal support, along with your
powerful political organization, to your rival, Barack Obama. After so
many clear and increasingly resounding victories in recent primaries
and caucuses, I think it undeniable that the people of this country are
responding overwhelmingly to the vision he represents. And while I
admire your persistent optimism and apparent good cheer, I believe it
to be in the best interests of the country to allow this phenomenal
groundswell to take its course and bring us to an important Democratic
victory in the fall.

Rightly or wrongly -- and
I myself judge it unfair and deeply prejudicial -- you bring with you a
potential storm of angry rejection by that "vast right wing conspiracy"
you so correctly identified a number of years ago. I do not believe it
to be insurmountable, but it will certainly be bloody and divisive.
Your rival brings no such baggage along with him -- though your common
opponents will certainly be looking for whatever they can dig up -- and
his voice is as yet unsullied by such personal animosity, particularly
from the right but also, sad to say, from certain disaffected Democrats
on the left. After Texas and Ohio, we will have reached a point in the
current election cycle where Democratic unity would give us a huge and
very likely unstoppable advantage over Republican dissent and disarray.

You, Senator, will be holding the key to that unity. You can achieve
it with a single, dramatic decision to sacrifice your personal
interests and passion to the common good. You are right: Barack Obama
is in many ways unprepared for the heavy responsibilities of the
presidency. He will need the wise counsel and guidance of those more
experienced and more in command of the know-how of government. But if
his success continues through Texas and Ohio, as I believe it well
might, there will surely be no further doubt but that he has won not
only the ear but also the heart of the American people in a way that no
other has done for decades. It's time to recognize the power of that
voice. Further divisiveness will serve only to delay the inevitable,
and to alienate potential support from independents and disaffected
Republicans.

These words, I assure you, come not from the rash judgment of
someone young and easily swayed by overly romantic visions, empty
promises, and fine rhetoric. I have lived through more wars than your
good self, long enough to recognize the perils of youthful
inexperience. Coming from my initial support for John Edwards and his
concern for the disadvantaged in our society -- I voted early for him,
by mail, in California, before he withdrew, as I suspect did many, many
others -- I have given much thought and discussion to the two remaining
candidacies. As I said at the start -- and as many others than I have
observed -- it is painful to be torn between two such excellent
prospects. It has taken me many bull-headed years to learn to listen
carefully to what others have to say, with the heart as well as the
head.

And now both my heart and my head concur: unless there's a radical
change in your favor in the coming three weeks, you should no longer
stand in the way of this passionate reawakening of the American
conscience.

Yours truly,

Peter Clothier

Read the full article here