Karl Rove and Torture

By Ben Cohen

Given the scope of the Bush Administration's crimes against humanity, the news that Karl Rove influenced the 9/11 Commission Report's finding on torture is not surprising.

Read Amy Goodman's interview with Former 9/11 Commission Chief Philip Zelikow:

By Amy Goodman

Source: Democracy Now!

The
following is a two-part transcript on the 9/11 Commission Report
recently conducted by Democracy Now!. The first explores the role that
Karl Rove may have played in influencing the report's findings, and the
second looks at how information gained through torture form a major
part of of the 9/11 Commission Report.

Former
9/11 Commission Chief Philip Zelikow on Allegations He Secretly Allowed
Karl Rove & White House to Influence 9/11 Probe

Philip Shenon, author of

The Commission: The Uncensored History of the 9/11 Investigation

, recently suggested on

Democracy Now!

that Philip Zelikow, the executive director of the 9/11 Commission,

sought to minimize the Bush administration's responsibility for failing

to prevent the September 11th attacks. Shenon also revealed that Karl

Rove repeatedly called Zelikow during the probe. In the following

interview, Zelikow responds in his first broadcast interview since the

publication of Shenon’s book.

Democracy Now! Co-host Juan Gonzalez:

I'd like to ask you, Philip Zelikow, on the issue of -- the book by

Philip Shenon, The Commission: The Uncensored History of the 9/11

Investigation, raises obviously some disturbing criticism, in addition,

about the Commission's work. I was struck in particular by the

questions he raised about your communications with Karl Rove during

that period and also that the issue of whether you sought to have your

secretary remove the logs of your phone calls with Karl Rove during

that period. Could you respond to those issues raised by Shenon?

Philip Zelikow:

Well, not only can I respond to them, the commissioners actually have

responded and will respond to anyone who asks them, because I was

authorized by the Commission to talk to White House officials

regularly, as was the general counsel, Dan Marcus. But on this business

of Rove, it's a little ironic, since I don't even really know Rove. We

had two brief contacts that had to do with University of Virginia

business, because I used to direct a presidential research center. In

both cases, we handed off the issues to others. The university actually

has records on this matter. I told Shenon all of this.

Keep reading.