First Kennedy, Now Eisenhower

President Eisenhower's granddaughter has endorsed Sen. Obama.

The biggest barrier to rolling up our sleeves and preparing for a better future is our own apathy, fear or immobility. We have been living in a zero-sum political environment where all heads have been lowered to avert being lopped off by angry, noisy extremists. I am convinced that Barack Obama is the one presidential candidate today who can encourage ordinary Americans to stand straight again; he is a man who can salve our national wounds and both inspire and pursue genuine bipartisan cooperation. Just as important, Obama can assure the world and Americans that this great nation's impulses are still free, open, fair and broad-minded.

The intriguing thing about this is that Ike would have been cast out the modern Republican party. A certified bonafied war hero, Ike would have been too liberal with expenditures for things like the Interstate Highway System (a government project to which trillions of private wealth owe gratitude to) to slake the lust of today's conservatives.