Finally! Respect For Art Monk... And Here Comes Darrell Green Too

Hail to two of the greatest Washington Redskins players ever

Redskins fans, rejoice: WR Art Monk finally got his Hall call. So did CB Darrell Green, in his first appearance on the ballot.

These Washington stalwarts, who starred for Joe Gibbs’ legendary Redskins teams, headline the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2008. Three other modern-era players — former Chargers and 49ers DE Fred Dean, former Patriots OLB Andre Tippett and former Vikings and Broncos OT Gary Zimmerman — were also inducted, as was seniors committee nominee Emmitt Thomas, the longtime Chiefs star cornerback.

Monk’s candidacy was one of the most debated in recent memory, and certainly the most of the Internet age, as a grassroots campaign among Redskins supporters to get Monk into the Hall gained steam in recent years.

It took eight appearances on the ballot, but Monk finally made it.

“I wasn’t really expecting it, though I knew there was the possibility of it,” said Monk, speaking via telephone. “I am greatly honored.”