"Wrapped in a Flag, Carrying a Bible"

By Peter Bauer

We've all heard the saying "When fascism comes to America, it will be waving the flag and carrying a Bible."  After seven years of toiling under Bush's pseudo-evangelicalism, Mike Huckabee, a former Baptist Minister, is making claims that are downright scary.

"[Some of my opponents] do not want to change the Constitution, but I
believe it's a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be
to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is
to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to
change God's standards."

What boggles my mind is how people can be afraid of religious extremists from one country, but not from another.  We have this notion that Islamic Extremists and Evangelical Fundamentalists are on opposite ends of a linear spectrum.  In reality, they are right next to each other on the circle of belief, with rational, free thinkers on the opposite side of the circle.

For more on Huckabee's position,