Was Bill Richardson Really Ambassador To The UN?

I ask because Bill Richardson made two bone-headed statements regarding international politics in the New Hampshire debate.

1. Somehow Musharraf in Pakistan is going to step down because we ask him to. You know how world leaders like to abdicate their power because they're asked, right? The mostly ceremonial King Edward VIII abdicated his throne in the UK and it caused a crisis. But Musharraf - a leader with power - is just gonna step down after being asked nicely. You gotta be kidding me.

2. He referred to Russia as "The Soviet Union". It was dumb when Fred Thompson said it, it was dumb when Bill Richardson did it.

By all accounts, Bill Richardson has excelled at international diplomacy - both as a member of the Clinton administration as well as during his tenure as governor of New Mexico. But that Bill Richardson wasn't at the debate.