Sen. Russ Feingold slams John Edwards

By Ben Cohen

Senator Russ Fiengold from Wisconsin is one of the Democratic parties true liberals, and when he speaks on an issue, people should pay attention. So when he took John Edwards to task, The Daily Banter thought it fair to spread some poignant criticisms of the Democratic candidate running on a staunch left platform.

‘In the Appleton Wisconsin ‘The Post-Crescent‘ last week, Feingold had this to say:

The
one that is the most problematic is (John) Edwards, who voted for the
Patriot Act, campaigns against it. Voted for No Child Left Behind,
campaigns against it. Voted for the China trade deal, campaigns against
it. Voted for the Iraq war … He uses my voting record exactly as his
platform, even though he had the opposite voting record.

When
you had the opportunity to vote a certain way in the Senate and you
didn’t, and obviously there are times when you make a mistake, the
notion that you sort of vote one way when you’re playing the game in
Washington and another way when you’re running for president, there’s
some of that going on".

Then, yesterday, Feingold attacked Edwards again in an interview with the Huffington Post:

"I don’t understand how somebody could vote, five or six critical
votes, one way in the Senate and then make your campaign the opposite
positions," Feingold said.
"That doesn’t give me confidence that if the person became president
that they would continue the kind of policies that they are using in
the Democratic primary. I’m more likely to believe what they did in the
Senate."

Asked to explain what precisely he found problematic, Feingold
offered that Edwards had "taken in" voters by switching positions on
several key issues.

"You have to consider what the audience is, and obviously these are
very popular positions to take when you are in a primary where you are
trying to get the progressive vote. But wait a minute — there were
opportunities to vote against the bankruptcy bill, there was an
opportunity to vote against the China [trade] deal. Those are the
moments where you sort of find out where somebody is. So I think,
people are being taken in a little bit that now he is taking these
positions."

Agree or disagree? Please leave your comments below!