Kerry Endorsement of Obama is sure to help

By Ben Cohen

The announcement that John Kerry had officially endorsed Barack Obama is a huge victory for the Senator from Illinois. Kerry is an establishment Democrat with good credentials within the party, and his support of Obama gives him more credibility. With the race narrowing down to Obama and Clinton, racking up big names within the party is now the name of the game.

Here is the New York Times take on events:

CHARLESTON, S.C. — Senator John Kerry endorsed the presidential candidacy of Senator Barack Obama
at a rally here on Thursday, the first of several high-profile
Democrats expected to announce their support for Mr. Obama in his fight
to win the party’s nomination.

Mr. Kerry, a Massachusetts Democrat who was the party’s presidential
nominee in 2004, argued that Mr. Obama had the experience to lead the
country, contrary to what Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
has said about him. Mr. Kerry said Mr. Obama “brings the lessons of the
neighborhood, the lessons of the legislature and the lessons of his own
life to that awesome challenge” of filling the Oval Office.

Martin Luther King Jr.
said the time is always right to do what is right,” Senator Kerry said.
"And I’m here in South Carolina because this is the right time to share
with you, to make sure that we know that I have the confidence and that
Barack Obama can be, will be and should be the next president of the
United States.”

Mr. Kerry’s endorsement comes as the race for the Democratic nomination is growing tighter. This afternoon, New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson
is expected to announce at a news conference that he is dropping out of
the presidential race, following his fourth place finish in the New
Hampshire primary.