How Mitt Romney Speaks

On C-SPAN I caught a Mitt Romney event from Monday, talking to the folks from City Year. What a bad public speaker. It's not that he fumbles over the words like Bush does, nor am I measuring him against really great public speakers like President Clinton. But a basic level, the guy sucks. He has a pedantic speaking style, as if he thinks you are the dumbest person alive (there's reason to believe he really thinks this). You know the way Al Gore was always derided for having a sort of sing-song voice when he seemed to be talking down to folks? That's Mitt Romney, times one thousand. Then add a hint of Jon Lovitz's "The Liar" character and a healthy dose of Eddie Haskell from Leave It To Beaver.