Campaigning Versus Governing

Arnold Schwarzenegger is learning the difference between talking conservative b.s. on the trail versus the actual hard work of governing. That's why George Bush is such a failure as president, and why conservatives in congress are so much better at showboating than legislating.

During an unusually self-reflective interview with Times editors and reporters, the governor no longer talked like the outsider he portrayed when he campaigned to recall his predecessor from office in 2003.

In that campaign, he labeled many state legislators as inept. Now, he spoke of how it would be a "disaster" for term limits to force some of the same politicians from their offices. He scoffed at the notion that ridding the state of the "waste, fraud and abuse" he railed against in his early days would actually do much to help California's finances. He no longer insists that the state's troubled schools can be repaired without spending more.

"I have learned a lot of things where I felt one way before I went into office, and all of a sudden you learn things are not quite this way and you change," he said. "People call it flip-flopping. I would rather flip-flop when I see something is a wrong idea than get stuck with it and stay with it and [keep making] the same mistake."

Now of course the true believers at Redstate don't like this, but it speaks to the reality behind conservatism.

Conservatism is like the kid who wants ice cream for dinner every night. Sure, it seems great at first, but at the end of the day ice cream every night will lead to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and just general unhealthiness. Liberalism says sure, you can have some ice cream from time to time - but here's some healthier, more substantial food as well.