Bush's sad legacy

By Ben Cohen

Two disastrous wars, a plummeting economy, spiraling health care costs, a wrecked image abroad and huge deficits loom over George Bush's his head everywhere he goes. He must now coming to terms with the fact that he will be resigned to the trash heap of history. From the brilliant Chris Hedges:

By Chris Hedges

The
Gilbert and Sullivan charade of statesmanship played out by George W.
Bush and his enabler, Condoleezza Rice, as they wander the Middle East
is a fitting end to seven years of misrule.  Despots stripped of power
are transformed from monsters into buffoons.  And this is the
metamorphosis that is eating away at the Bush presidency.

Bush stood in Jerusalem,
uncomfortable and palpably bored.  He mouthed platitudes about a peace
settlement that mocked the humanitarian crisis he aided and abetted in
Gaza, the rapacious land grab by Israel in the West Bank and the wars
in Iraq and Afghanistan.  The diminished George Bush, increasingly
irrelevant at home and abroad, is fading into insignificance.  A year
from now one half expects to see him stand up at the next president’s
inauguration and screech “I’m melting!  I’m melting!” as he sinks into
a puddle of slime.  He will return, I expect, to his ranch, where he
will be able to spend the rest of his life doing the only task for
which he has shown any aptitude—cutting down brush with a chain saw.

To read the full article, click here.