Rove repeats lie about vote to go to war

By Ben Cohen

Having been a major player in the Bush Administration is a huge liability in the real world, for fairly obvious reasons. Without a position of power, Karl Rove is finding being irrelevant increasingly difficult to deal with. To counter this, Rove has been rewriting history to shift the blame for the decision to invade Iraq to . After the media lampooned him for his ridiculous assertion that the Congress pushed Bush into an early vote on the war, Rove unashamedly repeated the claim yesterday.

The evidence for this being total nonsense is overwhelming. In a question and answers session with the media in September of 2002, Bush was asked  , "Are you concerned that Democrats in
Congress don't want a vote there until after U.N. action?"

Bush responded: "My answer to the Congress is, they need to
debate this issue and consult with us, and get the issue done as
quickly as possible.  It's in our national interests that we do so."

On September 19th, 2002 The New York Times quoted Donald Rumsfeld as saying:

''Delaying a vote in Congress would send the wrong message, in my view,
just as we are asking the international community to take a stand and
as we are cautioning the Iraqi regime to respond and consider its
options,''

Ari Fleischer, press secretary at the time, had the following to say:

"It was definitely the Bush administration that set it in motion and determined the timing, not the Congress."

There are polite ways of describing Rove's initial actions. You could say he 'mispoke', 'mislead' or 'confused the truth'. But having done so again, after being presented with the facts, it is clear he is doing something far more heinous. He is lying.