An Attack on Freedom of Assembly/Speech

By Peter Bauer

I came across this video on the website stumbleuponand wasn't sure how to feel about it.  In it, Anti-Fascist/Anti-Police State protesters are sabotaged by police who provoke a fight, and then sweep in from all sides to make arrests.

I have mixed feelings about videos like these every time I see them.  I feel outraged that there is an open assault against freedom of speech and assembly taking place in America, and at the same time, I feel numb and apathetic.  Many times this violence occurs major urban centers, miles away from my day-to-day life.

I feel like I want to do something, but I'm not sure what I can do.  Should I editorialize and grandstand events like these as they happen?  Is each case of police brutality an example of a country moving slowly toward a police state, or are these simply isolated incidents that are few and far between?  What does it say about me as a citizen if I simply do nothing?

Six months ago I wrote a column for this website urging readers to remain vigilant because of a Presidential Directive that can consolidate power into the Executive Branch in time of a "National Emergency."  Is this video evidence of an emerging Police State, or is this simply reflective of the times we are living in?

Your comments and banter are encouraged.  If you have any similar videos, please post the links so that others can see them too.