The Real Danger to the U.K: The U.S

By Ben Cohen

Here's an interesting piece by Linda Colley from the Guardian about Britain's incestuous relationship with the United States, and why it has undermined Britain's national security. It is a subject mainstream politicians in the U.K will not touch, regardless of what the majority of the population believes:

We Fret Over Europe, but the real threat to sovereignty has long been the U.S

By Linda Colley

One knows something is important when the powers that be choose not
to acknowledge it in public. Since 1945, Britain has been subject to at
least three invasions. Two of these invasions have been massively
discussed, and are widely viewed as having challenged and complicated
understandings of what it means to be British. The empire came home, in
that migrants from former overseas colonies settled here in large
numbers, as they never had before the war; and Britain joined what is
now the European Union, and became subject to interventions of
different kinds emanating from Brussels.

The third post-1945
invasion was just as momentous, yet official and media silence about it
is usually deafening. Since 1947, there have been US military bases in
the UK: something that would have been unthinkable before 1939.

Schoolchildren
in the United States are still taught that London's decision to keep
10,000 troops in the colonies after 1763 was one of the precipitants of
the American revolution. Yet, according to the available statistics,
over 10,500 US military personnel were stationed in the UK as late as
2005, a higher total than in any other European state, barring Germany
and Italy, both defeated in the second world war. In all, well over 1.3
million US personnel have been stationed here since 1950, without - so
far as I know - any consultation of the electorate.

It is not the
exact number of these troops, however, but what they represent that is
significant - namely London's postwar position of considerable
clientage to Washington in terms of foreign policy and much else.

refer to these subjects is to invite accusations of anti-Americanism.
But I am not anti-American. I have worked in the US for 20 years. My
point is not American power, but rather the double standard that
characterises so much British political discourse. Sections of the
media and members of both major parties have been all too eager to bang
the autonomy drum when it comes to Europe. But there is a marked
unwillingness to analyse the challenges to British independence from US
influence; and those touching on the subject are swiftly denounced. To read the full article on the Guardian, click here.