The Myth Of Republican Morality

There is this idiotic idea floating around in Washington and the media that at some magical moment Republicans in Washington are going to suddenly discovery morality and buck the president on the war. During the Take Back America conference I heard this idea from usually sane people including Sen. Sherrod Brown, Sen. Amy Kloubchar, and Sen. Barack Obama. I guess it is useful to believe this stuff if you're in regular contact with these people and you pass them in the hall and they come across like good people. But the truth of the matter is, they are not. In fact, on the issue of Iraq they are only slightly less maniacal than president Bush. They will continue to thwart the will of the people because it means admitting that they made a mistake. If the Democratic congress continues to measure its contributions to the Iraq policy on the pretense of Republicans being moral, it is doomed to fail.

Bush20070625

The right is already plotting a two-pronged strategy connected to Petraeus' report on the surge. On one hand, they will claim that it is working, that it is generating real results, but of course it is working in the sense that when you squeeze a water ballon you're moving the water out - but it's just pooling and bulging in another region of the balloon. Then, they are already laying the ground for saying that they need more time and we'll hear once again that in another Friedman Unit (six months) we will really really really really see that it is working. The press will dutifully report these "facts" and tsk-tsk-tsk Democrats to be "serious" on the issue. Serious in Washingtonese always means completely caving in to the dominant neocon worldview.

If the Democratic Congress allows themselves to once again be dupes for the administration and the media, they will have demonstrated that they don't deserve the majority. The reason their approval ratings have cratered are simply because they have refused to stand up to the president on the Iraq war. It's great that they're investigating the corruption that Republican leadership brings to our government, and I love that they're moving the ball in the right direction on crucial domestic policy. But Iraq is the central battle of our time, and on that issue they have FAILED and if they make the entire policy based on clapping their hands and hoping for Republicans to be good people they will have FAILED again.

Send them a bill with a timeline to end the war. If he vetoes it, send it back.