Mythmaking

Man, the righties have absolutely convinced themselves that the most important issues in the world, the one that voters vote confidence up and down about, are things like "pork", earmarks, etc. I'm not arguing that people don't like wasteful government spending, but especially in the global situation we're in nowadays - the reason why Republicans lost the House, why Bush's approval rating can't break 35%, and why Democrats are losing support from their base - is Iraq.

This is a lot like Democrats who thought in 2002 if they just got the Iraq issue off the table they could run elections based on education and healthcare. It's almost a pathology of parties and political movements that they ignore the reality in favor of what they wish the answer to be.

But on its face, this is so silly. Fourteen American soldiers died this weekend in Iraq. Clearly the big issue is government spending! Sheesh.