Tommy Thompson's Crazy Answer

I think it's fair to say that an answer like this would have made more waves at a Democratic debate:

Moderator: Governor Thompson, same theme. If a private employer finds homosexuality immoral, should he be allowed to fire a gay worker?

Thompson: I think that is left up to the individual business. I really sincerely believe that that is an issue that business people have got to make their own determination as to whether or not they should be.

Moderator: OK. So the answer's yes.

Thompson: Yes.

How is that even logical let alone legal? Tommy Thompson just seems to have endorsed discrimination. As far as I know firing someone simply for their sexual orientation is not legal - and certainly not moral. I'd like to see the media ask the rest of the field this question - and particularly if the Republicans agree with fellow GOPer Tommy Thompson.