Obama Under Threat, Under Secret Service Protection

Damn this.

CNN: Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has been placed under the protection of the U.S. Secret Service, reportedly because of a threat against him, the Secret Service said Thursday.

MORE:

A statement from Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said he authorized the protection detail for Obama.

"As a matter of procedure, we will not release any details of the deliberations or assessments that led to protection being initiated," the statement said. "For security reasons we will not release the timing, scope or details of any protective operations."

ABC:

It is the earliest time in an election cycle that the Secret Service has ever placed a presidential candidate under its protection, the Secret Service said.

The United States Secret Service confirmed that a security detail had been put in place Thursday. U.S. Secret Service spokesman Darrin Blackford said on the record, "Yes, we can confirm we are protecting Senator Obama."

The conspiracy theories are flying fast and furious on premiere conservative news site Free Republic: They blame Hillary, a desperate Obama campaign, and Obama himself. The thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if the person who made the threat - and it would have to be a pretty credible one for the secret service to be involved - is a freeper or one of their allies.