Memorial Day 2007

"I have seen war. I have seen war on land and sea. I have seen blood running from the wounded. I have seen men coughing out their gassed lungs. I have seen the dead in the mud. I have seen cities destroyed. I have seen 200 limping, exhausted men come out of line—the survivors of a regiment of 1,000 that went forward 48 hours before. I have seen children starving. I have seen the agony of mothers and wives. I hate war."
-- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"In the period from Memorial Day 2006 through Saturday, 972 Air Force, Army, Marine and Navy personnel have died in Iraq."

"I just feel that we will be here a long time. And it's going to take a lot more time than what people think back home to fix what's going on over here. From what I see, they don't want us here." - Josh Ites, Iowa National Guardsman serving in Iraq

""At home, there's a lot of misconceptions about the conflict over here. They’ll be asked what they believe the war in Iraq is about they’ll just say 'freedom.' They’ll just spout off with something that they’ve heard and is easily repeatable and it's patriotic" - Adam Wendling, Iowa National Guardsman serving in Iraq