Bill Richardson Throws Down The Energy Gauntlet

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

neil armstrong on the moon

- JFK 9/12/1962, seven years before man landed on the moon.

As disappointed as I was by Sen. Obama's energy proposal, I like the sound of Gov. Richardson's energy proposal.

We need a man-on-the-moon program to end this addiction, this hemorrhage.  But we need it much faster and much more boldly than people are suggesting.

When John F. Kennedy challenged this country to reach the moon, he challenged us to get there in TEN years, not twenty, or thirty, or forty.

On energy policy, we need to change fast, or sink slowly.

I am issuing a call to action, for Congress, the energy industry, and the public.

I am calling for a new American revolution – an energy and climate revolution.

People in politics and industry might say it can’t be done.  My goals are too lofty.

I am not comparing myself to JFK, but I know that when he challenged Americans to reach the moon in 10 years, America responded by saying, “How can we help?”  We didn’t say, “It can’t be done.”

***

The United States consumes about 21  million barrels of oil per day.  After  Katrina, about 65% of this was imported.

By 2020, with hard work and the  cooperation of Congress and the American people, we will reduce our oil  dependence by at least 6 million  barrels a day, probably 8 million,  and possibly as much as 10 million.

Every single facet of American life, foreign policy and domestic policy, our economy, education and beyond is touched by our energy policy. If we do not get off oil, we are doomed. The next president will be the successor to a president who did his best to work for the oil industry and against the American people. If it is (God willing) a Democrat, he or she will have majorities in the House and Senate and a populace ready to change our energy structure.

Now is not the time for half measures and piecemeal strategies.