Jesus Christ: VA Tech School Shooting

Oh my God.

A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 22 people in the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history. The gunman was killed, but it was unclear if he was shot by police or took his own life.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."

UPDATE: And of course, in the bizarro-effed up world of Instapundit this means we need more guns in our society. You couldn't buy the gun nuts a clue if you spotted them a $50.

UPDATE: Here's the deal - we've got screwed up people and we've got a culture that allows someone to essentially walk into a store and grab more firepower than the revolutionary army had. It's amazing this doesn't happen more, and yet people want to have our country awash in guns.

MAJORITY LEADER REID: "The thoughts and prayers of all Americans are with the Virginia Tech family today. As we learn more about this horrific tragedy - the deadliest shooting in our nation's history - it breaks our hearts and shakes us to our very cores. We pray for those who were lost and for the speedy recovery of the wounded. And we pray that America can find the strength to overcome our grief and outrage as we face this tragedy together."

SPEAKER PELOSI: "As the Virginia Tech community struggles with the mourning and questioning that is certain to follow, the continued prayers from this Congress are with the students, their families, the faculty, and the staff at Virginia Tech. Leader Boehner joins me in extending our condolences to all concerned, and we ask for a moment of silence to be observed in this body. Would we all please rise to observe the moment of silence?"

PRESIDENT BUSH: "Today, our nation grieves with those who have lost loved ones at Virginia Tech. We hold the victims in our hearts, we lift them up in our prayers, and we ask a loving God to comfort those who are suffering today."

THE GUN CULTURE: "High capacity ammo clips became widely available for sale when Congress failed to renew a law that banned assault weapons."

BRADY CAMPAIGN: "Eight years ago this week, the young people in Littleton, Colorado suffered a horrible attack at Columbine High School, and almost exactly six months ago, five young people were killed at an Amish schoolhouse in Pennsylvania. Since these killings, we've done nothing as a country to end gun violence in our schools and communities. If anything, we've made it easier to access powerful weapons. We have now seen another horrible tragedy that will never be forgotten. It is long overdue for us to take some common-sense actions to prevent tragedies like this from continuing to occur."