Fighting Terror As Police Action

I know John Kerry got killed by the Republican attack machine for suggesting it in 2004, but doesn't it seem like attacking terrorism like a crime - that is finding the perpetrators and their funders, arresting them and their networks via the FBI, CIA, and Homeland Security in concert with international agencies like Interpol - seem to do a lot better good at fighting terrorism than invading the wrong country? This includes arrests in the London bombings and the millenium bombs attempt, and even Zacarias Moussaoui for the 9/11 attack.

For instance.

Four men pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges that they plotted to recruit and train terrorists to attack U.S. and allied troops overseas.

Zubair A. Ahmed, Mohammad Zaki Amawi, Marwan Othman El-Hindi and Wassim I. Mazloum are accused of conspiring to kill or maim people outside the United States, including military personnel in Iraq.

A fifth man, Khaleel Ahmed, 26, pleaded not guilty to similar charges last month. He and Zubair Ahmed, 27, are cousins from Illinois. Amawi, El-Hindi and Mazloum live in Ohio. All are U.S. citizens except Mazloum, who came to the U.S. legally from Lebanon.

I would also note that the one non-U.S. citizen here came to America legally and not across, as Lou Dobbs would say, our "broken borders".