A Party That Looks Like America

Black Democrats feel surge of pride.

Rep. James Clyburn, the top black politician in South Carolina and the No. 3 Democrat in the U.S. House, was a delegate to the 1972 Democratic convention. His choice for president was easy: He cast his vote for a black woman, Shirley Chisholm.

"I'm very proud of that. I know that people still have those same kinds of feelings," Clyburn says.

But it's more complicated now, he concedes. Some black voters feel that surge of pride for Barack Obama, who is black, and others feel it for Hillary Rodham Clinton, who is female. Asked which bond will be stronger, Clyburn quotes baseball legend Yogi Berra: "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."