The Politico’s Mike Allen: Democrats Are Bloodthirsty Dogs, Gushes Over Fox News & Matt Drudge, Makes Fat Jokes About Al Gore

MP3

MikeallenThe Politico, the hot new DC insider publication, hypes itself like this: “journalism that insists on the primacy of facts over ideology”.

So Mike Allen (e-mail here), the publication’s “chief political correspondent” and a certified member of the beltway cocktail club set, appears on Matt Drudge’s syndicated radio program. Ok, fine. Drudge reaches an audience and Allen’s function is to get the Politico’s name out there. But then, this man who is supposedly a top person at a publication that isn’t just another partisan outlet proceeds to sound like any other right-wing hitman. Allen calls Democrats bloodthirsty for having the nerve to serve their oversight function. He squeals like a schoolgirl with a crush when he tells conservative gossipmonger Matt Drudge that Drudge is an idol and someone he sets as his home page in order to take direction from, then he gushes about the success of Fox News’ propaganda network. Then the cherry on top, Allen simply dismisses the substance of why former Vice President Al Gore is testifying in front of congress on global warming – why bother, there are fat jokes to be made, and attacks on Gore’s speaking style to be done.

This isn’t the first time Allen and the Politico have carried water for the right. And it won’t be the last, but this is the sort of “journalism” that passes for being fair in the modern world. You’ve got to kick Democrats in the teeth and kiss the rear end of Republicans in order to be seen as “serious”.

Something smells.

UPDATE: As a follow up, listen to CNN’s Ed Henry on The Ed Schultz Show. Henry reports the news, doesn’t slag either party, and doesn’t suck up to Schultz.

HELLO to Kos and Atrios readers. Check out more on the home page.

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

Boehner Condemns Obama's Cuba Policy, Owns Tons of Stock in Corps Doing Business with Human Rights Violators

Boehner Condemns Obama's Cuba Policy, Owns Tons of Stock in Corps Doing Business with Human Rights Violators

Boehner is making a bundle from corporations that are actively exploiting workers and racking up hum[Read more...]
Barbara Walters's 'Most Fascinating' Special Raises a Big Middle Finger to Feminism

Barbara Walters's 'Most Fascinating' Special Raises a Big Middle Finger to Feminism

Babs's annual list of her Most Fascinating People was just released. While there is no reason to tak[Read more...]
U.S. Intelligence Officials Link Sony Attack To North Korea
South Park Explains Why Sony Canceled the Premiere Of 'The Interview'

South Park Explains Why Sony Canceled the Premiere Of 'The Interview'

'South Park' knows all too well how this works.[Read more...]
MEMBERS ONLY: The U.S./Cuba Thaw Marks the End of Cuban Exile Hardliners' Political Power

MEMBERS ONLY: The U.S./Cuba Thaw Marks the End of Cuban Exile Hardliners' Political Power

For decades Miami's Cuban-American community has wielded outsized influence and demanded candidates [Read more...]
  • Mike

    allen mike mallen@thepolitico.com
    harris john jharris@thepolitico.com
    reilly dan dreilly@thepolitico.com
    simon roger tblake@thepolitico.com
    smith ben bsmith@thepolitico.com
    vanderhei jim jvandehei@thepolitico.com

    …Explain how Kondracke can ‘always’ be on the Republican side of an issue …Jay 6:22:56 PM
    Kondracke has two shows on Fox because he is a rightist hack, capisce.?

  • Aun Gomgala

    Drudge has had this interview along w/ the rest of that night’s show in his archives since the 18th… He refers to them as his “podcasts”…

  • http://www.popandsports.com Jay

    Jay, it simply isn’t bias. It’s pointing out that the networks have leaned one way in their selection of guests and that their panels should be more fair

    Loosely translated Oliver they’re claiming the panels and therefore, the networks in question are biased.

    We don’t purport to say why they did it nor do we pretend to be able to read their minds and construct a vast conspiracy like MRC does.

    Oliver, if you want I’ll go through the archives and point out where you guys have written why they’ve done it.

    Anyone who can seriously look at what Mort Kondracke says, the fact that he always lines up on the Republican side of an issue, and pretend he’s a moderate or a liberal just plain isn’t listening because their brain is filled with their own agenda.

    Once again, I ask how somebody who holds the positions that I listed can honestly be called a conservative. Explain it Oliver. Oh, Kondracke’s also a death penalty opponent.

    Just give me a rational explanation. Explain how Kondracke can ‘always’ be on the Republican side of an issue when his views are in direct contrast to theirs on so many issues.

  • radlib1

    Go to Mike Allen’s Politico website and tell me that he is not a gay worshipper at the altar of Matt Drudge. Look at the tartan tie and the bald head. Wouldn’t Bushie love to rub that knob?

    Gay is not bad. Hypocrisy is. And Mike Allen and Politico have it in tartans.

  • http://www.oliverwillis.com Oliver Willis

    Jay, it simply isn’t bias. It’s pointing out that the networks have leaned one way in their selection of guests and that their panels should be more fair. We don’t purport to say why they did it nor do we pretend to be able to read their minds and construct a vast conspiracy like MRC does. The report also notes a program that has had a balanced panel.

    Anyone who can seriously look at what Mort Kondracke says, the fact that he always lines up on the Republican side of an issue, and pretend he’s a moderate or a liberal just plain isn’t listening because their brain is filled with their own agenda.

  • Duros62

    Perhaps you can explain to me how a guy who:

    Is pro choice
    Supports gay rights
    Supports raising the minimum wage
    Supports tax increases on wealthier Americans
    Supports stem cell research
    Is opposed to across the board tax cuts
    …is conservative.

    Well, I’m stumped. Why? Jay, your inner liberal is dying to come out. Set him Free!!

  • http://tofubo.blogspot.com tofubo

    love the new sight by the by, it greatly enhances continually superb commentary

  • CSW

    Re Politico: Maybe Roger Simon’s three articles in the last 2 weeks about Howard Dean provide balance for Allen’s Rep gushing. You can’t have everything 24 X 7.

  • http://www.popandsports.com Jay

    And that’s not a bias argument, Jay, I’m assuming you didn’t actually read the item in question because it states – quantifiably – that “Republicans, conservatives, and pro-Alito guests dominated the networks’ coverage; far outnumbering Democrats, progressives, and Alito critics.” That isn’t a bias argument.

    Oliver, stop. You said:

    MM makes no claims about bias

    Stating that more conservatives appear on Sunday talk shows than liberals and talking about how coverage of the Alito nomination “tilted to the right” is pointing out….tada…..bias. Sure, pointing out that more Republicans and conservatives were on shows discussing the Alito nomincation is a statement of fact, but so what? Why are they pointing out that fact Oliver? If they have no interest in discussing bias in the media, why would they bother to let people know this?

    And DraftRepublicansForIraq, your little quip about David Brock’s transformation made me weepy.

    Naomi, there’s no need for me to look up the definition of a straw man argument. Perhaps you can explain to me how a guy who:

    Is pro choice
    Supports gay rights
    Supports raising the minimum wage
    Supports tax increases on wealthier Americans
    Supports stem cell research
    Is opposed to across the board tax cuts

    …is conservative.

    Criticizing Democrats from time to time does not make one a ‘conservative’ and forgive me, but I will blunt: Anybody who believes Mort Kondracke is a conservative is a fool. Plain and simple.

  • DraftallRepublicansforIraq

    It’s what MM claims to do. It’s the same thing MRC claims to do. Both take what many would seem to be trivial matters and blow them out of proportion.

    Look at who founded MM and MRC.
    MM- David Brock, former darling of the conservative scene who wrote the “Real Anita Hill”, Troopergate, etc. Eventually his conscience caught up with him and he decided to do something about the conservative media’s lies and unaccountability.

    MRC-Brent Bozel, Former Nixon hack with a hard on to avenge what happened to his boss. Began accusing media of liberal bias back in the mid to late 70’s.

    You all can research the rest.
    But the simple fact is one was done for justice the other was done for corruption. If your too stupid to realize that, then you are truly in denial.

  • fair and balance?

    this site is balance yeah and Oliver is a skinny white guy. Your just mad because not everybody is giving hand jobs to dems. America needs ideas not stupid sites like this one and drudge. We get it everybody is against you.

  • plum

    Perhaps what’s confusing about Jay’s arguments is that he’s operating on a definition of “bias” that’s different from how liberals understands. (The fault can probably be sourced to MRC’s attempt to obfuscate the matter.)

    At the layperson’s level, MRC and MMA both seek to find examples of bias. Jay’s right in that. However, the difference is in methodology. MMA sticks to quantitative methods — numbers, basically, content coding, all good positivist stuff — while MRC takes a qualitative approach. There’s a place for that, but not if you don’t acknowledge the inherently subjective nature of your analysis.

    MRC would have us believe that its qual approach carries the same weight as a quant approach.

  • http://comcast.net Maureen Holland

    Hello lad: I’me a 65 year old lady in Florida who’s been a fan of yours from Day 1 (remember the red home page?). You tried lots of formats and that was fun – but the important thing that’s kept me coming back is you’re awfully smart for such a young fellow. I like smart. And although I’ve no right to, I feel pride as I see how well you’re regarded in the larger blogsphere. Keep it going!

  • Max Renn

    Anyone who wants to argue that Kondracke is not a conservative is either

    1. A shut-in

    2. Arguing in very bad faith

    Jay needs to quiet the voices in his head going on about Bush Derangement Syndrome (and I’m with plum on the Godwin tip, btw). Jay, the Straw Men fear the voices in your head. Stop frightening the poor weedy fellows.

  • http://www.oliverwillis.com/ Oliver Willis

    And that’s not a bias argument, Jay, I’m assuming you didn’t actually read the item in question because it states – quantifiably – that “Republicans, conservatives, and pro-Alito guests dominated the networks’ coverage; far outnumbering Democrats, progressives, and Alito critics.” That isn’t a bias argument. That is a factual statement of the events in question. It isn’t about what some person “thought” or how they “felt”. It’s adding up numbers and presenting evidence. Now, I know MRC has spent 20 years of doing shoddy research and MM’s work product is sort of a revelation, but come on.

    As far as Kondracke goes, he has a favoritism for one side over the other. I wouldn’t call Katrina Vandenheuvel (sp) a conservative, because she’s a liberal. It’s black and white.

  • Naomi

    lol, plum. most definitely.

    what kind of argument is that, anyway?

  • plum

    There ought to be a version of Godwin’s law that states that the first time someone mentions Bush Derangement Syndrome, they lose the argument.

  • Naomi

    look it up, and let it slosh around a bit and then start arguing with facts and not straw men.

  • Naomi

    jay, you need to look up the straw man argument.

  • http://www.popandsports.com Jay

    No, MRC claims to find “bias”. It’s in their slogan for chrissake. We look at the factual inaccuracies in the press that help the con agenda MM makes no claims about bias, but quantifiable arguments about balance, factual distortions, etc.

    Oh for crying out loud do you actually believe your own nonsense? Are you seriously going to tell me that MM doesn’t complain about bias? If not, then what the hell does an entire study devoted to determining the political breakdown of Sunday Talk show guests supposed to prove? What does that have to do with factual inaccuracies? Cmon dude. Let’s hear the explanation for that one.

    Hell, just doing a search I came across this:

    ‘Cable News Coverage of Alito Nomination Skewed Right.’

    It’s a good thing Media Matters makes no claims about bias! Sell that sh*t to the tourists Oliver. I know better.

    Mort Kondracke is conservative if you look at what he actually says

    Oh so Mort doesn’t suffer from Bush Derangement Syndrome and that makes him a conservative. Stop it. You’re embarrassing yourself.

  • SpiderJ

    “Lies, damn lies, and statistics.”

    (a) Your “less than a third came from viewers of these media outlets” fails to acknowledge that the viewers and clickers then went on to spread their misinformation to the other “two-thirds,” thereby enveloping more than those primarily exposed to the hackery. Besides which, using only two elements of the hackery is disingenuous, since Drudge gets linked everywhere.

    And (b):

    Considering 1/3 of Kerry’s support came from people without a hs diploma, all seems right in the world…

    Cite? And while you’re at it, care to tell me the same statistic who voted for Bush?

  • http://www.oliverwillis.com/ Oliver Willis

    A joke can be an attack. I attack cons with jokes all the time, but then I don’t claim to be a non-partisan journalist like Mike Allen. You know this, but you’re just being dumb on purpose.

    No, MRC claims to find “bias”. It’s in their slogan for chrissake. We look at the factual inaccuracies in the press that help the con agenda, MRC is outraged at liberals writing Law & Order. MM makes no claims about bias, but quantifiable arguments about balance, factual distortions, etc.

    Mort Kondracke is conservative if you look at what he actually says, or will you now believe I’m a Republican if I just decide to say I’m a Republican one day?

  • paul

    Fox watchers?
    3-4 million on a good day.

    Drudge hits in 24 hrs?
    15 million.

    Number of votes for bush in 2004?
    60 million.

    less than a third of W’s support, came from viewers of these two element of the ‘evil right wing hackery’.

    Considering 1/3 of Kerry’s support came from people without a hs diploma, all seems right in the world…

  • http://www.popandsports.com Jay

    I’m not saying they have to be dry, but the idea of a supposedly straight news journalist attacking Al Gore for being fat in any venue other than a private conversation is horrible.

    Oh please. Before you said it was a “joke.” Now you’re claiming its an “attack.” I wasn’t even sure where the joke was. Was it the ‘eclipse’ comment? If so, then it’s just a bad joke. But get a grip with calling it an ‘attack.’

    Furthermore Jay, I’d like to address your assertion that Media Matters and MRC are the same. MRC insists that the media has a liberal bias, that is, they claim to be able to go in the head of journalists and know what they’re thinking. Their work product reflects this position, as it is always about tone, innuendo, etc. Their big beef is that the media isn’t pro-conservative enough.

    Nonsense. Go to the home page of their site and the home page of Media Matters and they have the same kind of stuff Oliver.

    We focus on conservative lies, misinformation, spin, and refute it with factual information.

    It’s what MM claims to do. It’s the same thing MRC claims to do. Both take what many would seem to be trivial matters and blow them out of proportion.

    In addition they both have these ‘studies’ that essentially prove nothing, but make good fodder for those who simply want their point of view validated. Look at MM’s ‘study’ on Sunday Talk shows. They do this entire study showing conservatives get more face time on the Sunday shows, but how can I take it seriously when they identify Mort Kondracke as a conservative?

    In an ironic twist the media watchdogs have fallen into Chomsky’s mode of ‘Manufacturing Consent.’ Both MM and MRC are under pressure to stay in business and the only way to do that is keep people believing that the media has this major bias one way or the other.

  • wildsmith

    Mike allen just another right-wing hack just like the douche drudge.

    Media Matters is kicking the republican ass. I visit their website everyday.

    Also great website Oliver.

  • http://www.oliverwillis.com/ Oliver Willis

    In the entry above, I’ve pointed out the difference in how Ed Henry comported himself on Ed Schultz’s radio show. I’m not saying they have to be dry, but the idea of a supposedly straight news journalist attacking Al Gore for being fat in any venue other than a private conversation is horrible.

    Furthermore Jay, I’d like to address your assertion that Media Matters and MRC are the same. MRC insists that the media has a liberal bias, that is, they claim to be able to go in the head of journalists and know what they’re thinking. Their work product reflects this position, as it is always about tone, innuendo, etc. Their big beef is that the media isn’t pro-conservative enough.

    Media Matters, on the other hand, does not purport to go inside people’s heads. We focus on “comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation”, not bias. We focus on conservative lies, misinformation, spin, and refute it with factual information. We don’t focus on the facial tics of a news anchor when he or she mentions a pol.

    Don’t you think something is off kilter when you – an evangelical conservative Republican voter – is on the same side as an ostensibly straight reporter? Similarly, Vandehei shouldn’t be agreeing with me either. He ought to be reporting and interpreting the news.

    Its called journalism.

  • http://www.popandsports.com Jay

    Are you trying to claim that Letterman and Conan are in the same business as Drudge?

    No, but I consider Drudge’s radio show to be about as serious as those two.

    Oliver is the one attempting to make the case that Drudge’s radio show is a serious news show and guests should behave accordingly.

  • MasonMcD

    Perhaps the same people that have Mr. Allen’s integrity might also give him his lips back.

  • Njorl

    “Again, this is the Drudge radio show. Do you want substance when journalists or politicians appear on Letterman or Conan? Cmon.”

    Are you trying to claim that Letterman and Conan are in the same business as Drudge? And don’t say they are all just in it for the money. Everyone in every business is in it for the money. Drudge has ulterior motives that the others don’t have.

  • Duros62

    Roger Ailes is so fat, he has his own gravitational field.

  • http://www.popandsports.com Jay

    Unlike conservative media watchdogs, its not that I want the press to bend over for the Dems.

    Oh please. Media Matters and the Media Research Center are both the same animal. Anybody that tries on either side to differentiate them is merely choosing sides based on ideology.

    I don’t think it’s substantive reporting for a correspondent to discuss Al Gore’s global warming testimony by making fat jokes – and frankly the same could be said if the reporter were discussing Karl Rove.

    What substantive reporting? The guy was appearing on Matt Drudge’s radio show. If Allen went on NPR and did the same thing, I’d see your point.

    I want substance, not repetition of Republican talk radio talking points

    Again, this is the Drudge radio show. Do you want substance when journalists or politicians appear on Letterman or Conan? Cmon.

    The idea that you agree with Vandehei is illustrative of just how bad the current state of the press is, where carrying Republican water is the default position and any deviation is left-wing “bias”.

    Actually, my agreement with Vandehei is with regard to his characterization of Media Matters and how they operate. He’s spot on about it.

    Until you can have the intellectual honesty to admit that MRC and MMA are birds of a feather watching from different sides, there’s no point going into any painstaking detail as to why Vandehei is right.

  • http://www.darrelplant.com/ darrelplant

    That mission statement sounds suspiciously like a DC newspaper version of FOX News’ “fair and balanced.”

  • Klein’s Tiny Left Nut

    Who is Jay a sock puppet for? John Harris, Jim Vandehei or Allen himself.

    Allen consistently repeats GOP talking points and is obviously not burdened by superfluous intellect.

    I anxiously await the crashing and burning of the Politico. I signed up so that I could post some snark, but now regret it, because I don’t want to be part of their audience numbers.

  • http://www.oliverwillis.com Oliver Willis

    Jay, would you like it if a supposedly straight journalist went on Ed Schultz and rhapsodized about how great Schultz was?

    Unlike conservative media watchdogs, its not that I want the press to bend over for the Dems. I don’t think it’s substantive reporting for a correspondent to discuss Al Gore’s global warming testimony by making fat jokes – and frankly the same could be said if the reporter were discussing Karl Rove. I want substance, not repetition of Republican talk radio talking points. The idea that you agree with Vandehei is illustrative of just how bad the current state of the press is, where carrying Republican water is the default position and any deviation is left-wing “bias”.

  • Nimrod Gently

    Jay has discovered the purest irony yet known to man.

  • http://www.popandsports.com Jay

    What does Mike Allen’s reporting for Politico have to do with him appearing on Drudge?

    And I find it odd that you’re saying ‘The Politico’ just ‘carries water’ for the GOP and you link to a piece written by a Media Matters staff member published in ‘The Politico.’ Now, why would they do that?

    It seems to me Oliver, that you’ve gotten to a point where nothing negative can be written about Democrats (except when they’re not being ‘real’ Democrats) and nothing positive about Republicans in order for it to be ‘balanced.’

    And Jim VandeHei gets to the heart of the matter with regard to Media Matters. I thought his response to their piece was brilliant as it sums up their MO perfectly.

  • Sky-Ho

    Fascination with Drudge, no different than Monicas fascination with Clenis™.

    Access to power. Politico is wearing the blue dress….

  • Organic George

    When Bush interrupted his press conference to have the Politico reporter introduce the new “news” organization, you had to know it was a right wing shill group.

  • http://profile.typekey.com/Cyberian54/ Wellstone

    I am just happy he’s not going to stab Dems in the back at the Wapo as much anymore. He can be buried in Politico, just another right-wing HindRocket wannabe, and stay down in the second tier of go-to websites where it belongs.

    I am very happy that new Dems like Obama have decided to kick Ailes and FOX in the teeth and call them out for the GOP whores they are.

    Conservative radio is down 33% since the ’04 Election, AirAmerica is under new ownership and going strong. Close to 100 stations, reaching almost 3 million people. Progressive sites like DailyKos.com, Talkingpointsmemo.com, Atrios, and Huffington command the Internet with pageviews, hits, and content FAR above anything the Right has.

    There’s the reason why we won big in 2006, Ollie, folks like me and you and others here who decided they weren’t going to bend over and take it from the Right any more understand that reason.

    The Right can’t win without a commanding lead in propaganda. Their policies are anti-middle class, anti-working class, anti-Common Man, anti-American. They know it, and that’s why their model for winning power includes a LOT of money buying prostitutes in the media to do their bidding.

    Add Allen to that list.

  • http://sampo.stderr.org Pete

    Like the new look… this sense of, “whoa!” is what I get for reading you via RSS 90% of the time.

  • merlallen

    Plus, he’s gay. And the manly man Republican’ts hate teh gay, don’t they?

  • Lib4

    I really dont get the incessant fascination with Drudge by people like Mark Halprin, ABC News, Terry Moran and Mike Allen…Drudge’s site a a basic News Aggregator …..any 10 year old with Lexis Nexis could sit there all day pick stories with a RW slant and post them on the site…..

    but I guess in this day and age of a truly lazy media they need someone, anyone to lead them on their way