Obama '08: Bush Helped Iran Go Rogue

Obama: Bush Strategy Strengthened Iran.

"One of the most profound consequences of the administration's failed strategy in Iraq has been to strengthen Iran's strategic position; reduce U.S. credibility and influence in the region; and place Israel and other nations friendly to the United States in greater peril," Obama told the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, the pro-Israel lobbying group.

The Bush administration recently altered its position, with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice saying this week that the U.S. is willing to talk to Iran on security in Iraq.

Obama also emphasized in his speech his commitment to protecting the security of Israel, which he called "our strongest ally in the region and its only established democracy."

"Our job is to renew the United States' efforts to ... help Israel achieve peace with its neighbors while remaining vigilant against those who do not share that vision," Obama said.

I think too many folks on the left are reflexively turned off by pro-Israel comments in the same way too many on the right scream "anti-semite" when someone disapproves of Israeli policy. They're our ally, and we ought to support them, but when they do wrong, we ought to say so as well - they're a democracy, they can take it.