James Dobson Exercises Veto On Fred Thompson

The Republican party sold itself off to the religious far right a while ago, and as such they have given them veto power over the party nomination.

Focus on the Family founder James Dobson appeared to throw cold water on a possible presidential bid by former Sen. Fred Thompson while praising former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who is also weighing a presidential run, in a phone interview Tuesday.

"Everyone knows he's conservative and has come out strongly for the things that the pro-family movement stands for," Dobson said of Thompson. "[But] I don't think he's a Christian; at least that's my impression," Dobson added, saying that such an impression would make it difficult for Thompson to connect with the Republican Party's conservative Christian base and win the GOP nomination.

Democrats may or may not be fully satisfied by their candidates, but there isn't the utter rejection and dejection the Republican grassroots seems to have for their candidates so far. To quote Katie Couric, "some might say" this shows the inevitable decline of the party.