Conservatives Vs. Lincoln

One again we are shown why conservative ideology is so far outside of the mainstream of American thought.

In interviews afterward, some attendees said Mr. Giuliani lost momentum when he heaped lavish praise on Abraham Lincoln.

While many conservatives regard the Civil War president as the spiritual founder of the Republican Party, others deeply resent him as a man who ruthlessly suspended constitutional rights and freedoms in order to militarily challenge the South's belief in its right to secede. Some saw similar disdain for individuals' rights in Mr. Giuliani's successful war on crime in New York City.

To the vast majority of Americans of any political affiliation, Abraham Lincoln is one of the greats. To some of us, he was the last good Republican president - he literally preserved the union of our entire nation. And yet, the modern cons don't like him. Abraham freaking Lincoln.