Vilsack Out: That Was Quick

In the blink of an eye.

Democrat Tom Vilsack, the former Iowa governor who built a centrist image, abandoned his bid for the presidency on Friday after struggling against better-known, better-financed rivals.

Vilsack, 56, left office in January and traveled to early voting states, but he attracted neither the attention nor the campaign cash of his top-tier rivals — Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton , Sen. B, , ) and John Edwards .

"I came up against something for the first time in my life that hard work and effort couldn‘t overcome," he said. "I just couldn‘t work any harder, couldn‘t give it enough."

Video of Tom Vilsack dropping out: