The Slow-Drip Massacre Continues

Nixon

Drip, drip, drip.

An eighth U.S. attorney announced her resignation yesterday, the latest in a wave of forced departures of federal prosecutors who have clashed with the Justice Department over the death penalty and other issues.

Margaret Chiara, the 63-year-old U.S. attorney in Grand Rapids, Mich., told her staff that she was leaving her post after more than five years, officials said. Sources familiar with the case confirmed that she was among a larger group of prosecutors who were first asked to resign Dec. 7.

Nearly all of the dismissed prosecutors had positive job reviews, but
many had run into political trouble with Washington over immigration,
capital punishment or other issues, according to prosecutors and
others. At least four also were presiding over high-profile public
corruption investigations when they were dismissed.

"I'm the ghost of Richard Nixon, and from here in the bowels of hell, I approve this massacre."