Conservatives Are Idiots All Over The World

Even in the land down under, conservatism clearly rots the brain.

OPPOSITION Leader Kevin Rudd today went on the
offensive against Prime Minister John Howard over his verbal attack on
US presidential hopeful Barack Obama, warning it might damage the
Australia-US alliance.

Mr Rudd said
Mr Howard should be censured over his comment yesterday that terrorist
network al-Qaeda would be hoping for a Democratic candidate to win next
year's US presidential election.

Senator Obama has pledged to withdraw US troops from Iraq by March 2008, a timetable Mr Howard believes is dangerous.

Labor's
censure motion refers to Mr Howard's “false statement” that his
comments were directed only at Senator Obama and criticises Mr Howard
for damaging the Australia-US alliance.

It also accuses Mr
Howard of “gross insensitivity” for lecturing the United States on Iraq
when the war has claimed the lives of more than 3,000 US servicemen and
women.

I like that Obama responded right back to Howard's latest bout of stupidity.

“I think it's flattering that one of George Bush's allies on the other
side of the world started attacking me the day after I announced (my
candidacy),” Senator Obama said.

“I would also note that we have close to 140,000 troops in Iraq and my understanding is Mr Howard has deployed 1400.

“So
if he is ... to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest that he
calls up another 20,000 Australians and sends them to Iraq, otherwise
it's just a bunch of empty rhetoric.”

Somehow I don't think throwing Australia's troops on the front lines with Bush's lost cause would endear Howard to the Australian electorate.