Emperor Bush Strikes Again

There's a reason why we keep certain elements of our government free of partisan political interference. George Bush is not driven by responsiveness to the public at large, however, but to big business.

President Bush has signed a directive that gives the White House much greater control over the rules and policy statements that the government develops to protect public health, safety, the environment, civil rights and privacy.

In an executive order published last week in the Federal Register, Mr. Bush said that each agency must have a regulatory policy office run by a political appointee, to supervise the development of rules and documents providing guidance to regulated industries. The White House will thus have a gatekeeper in each agency to analyze the costs and the benefits of new rules and to make sure the agencies carry out the president’s priorities.

This is reminiscent of one of Bush's first actions after his appointment to the presidency, which was to throw out a bunch of OSHA guidelines as a sop to big business.