Don't Do Us Any Favors, Newt

Wow. If I were a Republican I would be pretty insulted by Newt Gingrich. Clearly his years of political exile have not robbed the little hatemonger of his messiah complex.

First, Newt Gingrich said he would run for
president in 2008 only if no other Republican emerged as a clear
front-runner. Now, the former House speaker says he will run only as a
“last resort.”

His assessment came in response to a question by Chris Wallace, host of “Fox News Sunday.”

“You sound as if you think about running for president as a last resort, not as a first resort?” Wallace asked.

“Exactly,” Gingrich answered. “I mean, nobody’s ever said it quite that way, but you’re right.”

Basically what Gingrich is saying is that he's too good to declare his candidacy right now, but should the party need saving he's ready to walk across water and bless the party with his presence. Crazy.