Democrats 2007: Maryland's New Governor

Omalleysworn

As a born and bred Marylander I say YES!

Martin O'Malley became Maryland's 61st governor just after noon today in the state Senate chamber, where he took the oath of office before hundreds of elected officials and dignitaries.

O'Malley, who turns 44 tomorrow, defeated Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. in the November election to recapture the State House for Democrats. He spoke a few words in the Senate chamber ceremony, thanking the people of Maryland for the trust they have placed in him to lead the state.

"We will remember the call of Frederick Douglass, that we are all one and we must act as one if we are to succeed," O'Malley said.